Doublespring Pack
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golden Slumbers. II One Shot.

Go down

Golden Slumbers. II One Shot. Empty Golden Slumbers. II One Shot.

Post  _Dakota_ Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Have you ever heard of a One Shot? No, it is not where you get shots when going to the doctors. XD A one shot is where you write a story and it's more like just a practice for you to have fun to read. Quite hard to explain, but you'll get it soon. I promise.

Golden Slumbers is a story I have found online at this website. I've decided to share it to you all because it is actually quite unique; and I'm pretty sure all of you would love to read it and take your time.

Golden Slumbers

Once there was a way to get back homeward
Once there was a way to get back home

Nothing could live here. The land was foreboding, the ground was cold, the sky dull, the water stagnant. What little grew here was small, stunted, twisted. For half of the year, a small sun spread its arms around the land snugly, leaving the land blanched and white. The other half of the year was guarded by the moon, turning the land cold and hostile abyss. The silver orb outlined the landscape in silver, but the beautiful sight did not reflect accurately how life was in the arctic tundra. Come winter, come hardships, some might tell you. And there was right. Food becomes even harder to find then in summer, if possible. Water freezes over, reluctant to let anyone take from its precious holds. Animals of all kinds give in to the relentless temptation of death. The arctic has beauty, yes, but it is a terrible beauty.

Yet to those who saw the dancing colors in the night sky that night, the price it took to live in such a harsh world was worth it.

Sleep pretty darling, do not cry
And I will sing a lullaby

The phenomenon in itself was rare enough, but that night was unusually special. Normally, the northern lights are shades of green and blue, with a few rare tints of other colors. Many stare at them longingly, for the dancing sky's colors rekindled memories of the precious few days when spring flowers bloomed in abundance, full of vibrant colors and hope.
But tonight, the sky was golden. Like a huge banner of the sun's silk, the aurora borealis wove in and out of the night sky, splattering some of its glorious incandescence on the ground below it. Such a thing was thought to be only legend among the animals of the arctic. Indeed, the legend of the Golden Slumbers was something no one would thought they would live to see, for it was rooted so deeply in lore that only a precious few believed it was ever true. How glad many were to admit they were wrong. And thus, everyone who woke up to see the strange golden banner in the sky instead of a moon ushered their companions up from their dreaming of warmer days and full bellies to see the lights.
Golden slumbers fill your eyes.
Smiles awake you when you rise.
"Fiyera. Fiyera, wake up! You've got the see this!"
A fluffy white ear twitched in irritation as the words reached her. It's owner was exhausted after spending the whole day scrounging the land unsuccessfully. Her white paws, seemingly too big for her slender, thin legs, swung half heartedly in the direction of the voice, her message clear: shut up, I'm trying to sleep.

And I will sing a lullaby.

Yet the voice persisted, urging her to wake up. A good number of heart beats passed before the ears could take the ceaseless nagging no more. A miniscule silver of bright gold, the same shad as the Golden Slumbers, appeared below the ear. An eye. It took in everything. The frozen tundra beneath herself, the silhouette of another wolf above her, a golden banner stretched across the sky-

The golden eye widened as it saw the northern lights dancing above herself. The wolf pounced upright ont her paws in surprise. All weariness, all hunger, everything disappeared in an instant. The wolf looked at her companion joyously, with the Golden Slumbers reflected in her eyes.

Golden slumbers fill your eyes
Smiles awake you when you rise

"Oh, Aukrillon, it's beautiful..." the she-wolf gasped.

"That's why I was trying to wake you, Fiyera." smiled the other wolf.

The two siblings had trekked across the tundra for ages after dispersing from their pack. Their journey was arduous and fruitless, but at that moment, neither of them cared. Just to see the northern lights, to feel its warmth on their golden coats, to delight in the now-crystallized tundra, was enough.

Every creature observing the miraculous sight agreed; they were satisfied as they never had been before. Nothing they had ever seen had been so beautiful, and they were all trying to imprint it on their minds before the scene flickered and disappeared. The whole word was silent. Not a breath of wind stirred as every animal turned to those dancing lights.

And not a breath of wind stirred as every animal turned to Aukrillon with baited breath as he opened his jowls and began to sing a haunting melody that he recalled from the very depths of his puphood.

"Oh, Aukrillon, that was beautiful," gasped Fiyera. Her bright eyes sparkled in the light.

Her brother, turning his face upwards, nodding solemnly. Suddenly, he turned to Fiyera, his face urgent. "Sister, I used to think that life was cold and unforgiving. After tonight, i see that it's not so. For whatever Mother Nature takes from us, she gives it back, though sometimes in ways we do not even notice. Promise me this one thing: never take life for granted. Never, Fiyera. And if you ever start to feel like life is unfair, and you feel the tears of sorrow coursing through her veins, remember this night, and be happy. Swear it, Fiyera."

Golden slumbers fill your eyes
Smiles awake you when you rise

The sister wolf remained motionless, except for one slight nod of the head. "I swear it, Aukrillon. By the Golden Slumbers, I swear it. But in return, you must sing for me."

"And which song would I have to sing in return?"

"The lullaby. Sing the lullaby."

Aukrillion smiled, and, opening his jowls, began to usher forth the song of the heart, the tune of the tundra, the lullaby.

And the land would remember that song forevermore.

_Dakota_
Hunter

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum